Saturday, March 13, 2010

Long Distant

Being in a long distance relationship defiantly tests the foundations of the relationship. You have no physical contact with your partner, so you need to rely on communication skills (yes you have to actually talk to them =0). It’s tough, but in the month that I have been away I have learnt more about my girl than I had in the whole time that I had known her; before and during our relationship. It hasn’t been without frustrations – going from seeing each other every day to not at all isn’t a very easy transition. But I have one tip for any couple willing to try the distance; Skype. It is your savior. Get it. Worship it. Use it. Every day.

Before committing to the long distance each partner has to ask themselves seriously if they are ready to give up everything in order to make this work. Being away from your partner can be one of the hardest experiences of your life. But if you are both willing to put in the effort that it requires it can make your relationship the strongest that it has ever been and indeed stronger than it would have ever been without the distance. This strength doesn’t come easily though, and the effort required isn’t for those who have doubts about their feelings. In a realm of trust and communication, doubt cannot coexist.

So when thinking about my relationship I believe that:
Yes – this has made us stronger.
Yes – Skype is the glue of our relationship.
Yes – it could break couples who thought that they could make it without extra effort.
Yes – this has been the hardest thing I have ever done with another person.
Yes – it brings me close to breaking point all the time.

But

No – I wouldn’t think twice about going through this again because I know that she is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment