Saturday, March 13, 2010

"I want to ride my bicycle, bicycle, bicycle"

Walking around Goodwill (a thrift store or opp shop as it is known in Australia) I came across what may appear to the untrained, unimaginative eye as a small children’s bike. But beneath the tiny size and vibrant pink and purple paint I saw the epitome of awesome embodying a vehicle. I had to have it, to own it, to release this metallic awesome into my life.

Nine dollars later and the bike was mine!! Victory was sweet, I could almost taste it. But this was only the beginning. This poor piece of machinery was suffering under the thick coat of girlish paint surrounding its exterior. Stashing it into the boot of Lucio’s car we rushed to Walmart on a mission. A mission to free this bike from the girlish constraints holding it back in the world.

All it took was seven dollars and I had the tools needed to revive this bicycle. Armed with new grips and a tin of shiny black spray paint I set to work as soon as I got back to my apartment. For one night it was transformed into a workshop. My bed covered in metallic parts as I disassembled the bike so I could recreate it, revive it even.


The next morning revealed the awakening of a new era for this bike. No longer a small children’s bike, held down by the purple speckled paint and small handlebars. It was freed and set to take over the world. The pure beauty gleamed in the morning sun, calling out to be ridden. How could I refuse? After the reconstruction I have been rewarded with a pintsize bundle of awesome to travel around on.



In short, I brought a bike, cleaned it, painted it and it only cost $16…. AWESOME

No comments:

Post a Comment